Monday, December 20, 2010

Girls - Broken Dreams Club [True Panther; 2010]



Broken Dreams Club EPIt's easy to say Girls' recent EP, Broken Dreams Club, has similarities to their previous album. Except there's a hint of maturity added in. Horns, heavy drums, wood blocks, and of course Chris Owens' stunning voice that could break any girls heart. On the third song, "Broken Dreams Club", Girls' down in the dumps tone actually makes you feel for them. "I just want to get high but everything keeps bringing me down" - I'm sorry, Owens, it'll be okay! - However, this is just one of many. Broken Dreams Club, saves the best for last. With one of the sweetest lines I've heard from Girls and one that you'll be humming around your house all day until you fall asleep. I'm talking about the song "Carolina", of course. It starts off with an almost mysterious melody and after 4 minutes of waiting and WAITING, finally Owens spurts out with his strained voice we all know and love, "I'm gonna pick you up baby, throw you over my shoulders, take you away, I'm gonna carry you home, to Carolina". Caution while listening - Chris Owens might actually break your heart.

Download: Girls - Broken Dreams Club

No comments:

Post a Comment